Thursday, September 9, 2010

Nuclear Power

Over several blog posts I hope to outline in brief some basics that might be of assitance to those actually adminstering 44 CFR Part 350 and following and 10 CFR Part 50 and 52. This would be the small FEMA staff and also many at the Nuclear Regulatory Commission. This series is dedicated in part to another lawyer who ended up much more than I dedicating his life to nuclear power and other issues over the second half of the 20th century. His name was James T. Ramey and at age 95 a long and very successful effort at living was closed. His obit appears in the Thursday, September 2, 2010, edition of the WAPO on page B-7. His son, James (Jim to me) is an outstand medical doctor practicing medicine in DC and a classmate of mine at Sidwell Friends in DC also (Class of 60). Oddly I first know of James Ramey the elder long before I knew of Jim the younger. And of course deep sympathy and condolences to Jim and all his family. We all only get one mother and one father if we are lucky.

So in a way the first post in this series will be largely historical with my own personal involvement in nuclear issues documented to some extent. I hope readers and followers of this blog will find it of interest.

I also have mentioned before in posts, I think, that the book entitled "The Nuclear Oracles" A political history of the General Advisory Committee of the Atomic Energy Commission, 1947-1977, is a must read to understand how we got to where we are today on nuclear issues. Written by my friend Richard T. Sylves, PhD now retired from the University of Delaware it is best and only analysis of that committee and its operations that exists. Please get your copy because this is a convulted world and seldom has an institution run by "high priests" had it envelop of expertise so well pierced.